A Brief History of Presbyterian Campus Ministry
Less than two decades after West Virginia University was created, Dr. Aaron Moore Buchanan became pastor of First Presbyterian Church. He began a long campaign to build Christian student ministries in the state's higher educational institutions and guided more than a dozen young men into careers in the ministry between 1886 and 1915.
Presbyterian Campus Ministry got its first full-time pastor in 1925 when the Rev. J Leslie French took office and remained until 1933. He was succeeded by the Rev. Lee Klaer, 1935-1944. Presbyterian campus pastors have ministered to WVU students and personnel ever since.
Since 1969 the Presbyterian ministry has operated with several other Christian denominations as an ecumenical ministry and has its own building in Morgantown's downtown area. First Presbyterian Church and the WVU Campus Ministry Center collaborate to minister to the spiritual, communal, and individual needs of students and personnel at WVU.